Following this morning's huge news about the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus, here's another bombshell from Apple: an Apple watch! Apple calls the Apple Watch "the most personal device [they've] ever created. It's a precise timepiece with an incredible ability to customize, and a new way to communicate directly from your wrist. It empowers people and enriches their lives."
The Apple Watch becomes available in early 2015 for $349. It works with iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and 5s, 5c and 5 (required).
The Apple Watch: An intimate way to connect and communicate.
- Communicate directly from your wrist.
- iPhone is required: Choose actionable notifications from phone that show up.
- "Designed not only what you see, but what you hear and feel."
- Pressing the button below the crown instantly shows you friends you can contact. Digital Touch gives new ways to connect intimately with others. Send a quick sketch or tap to others. Share something as personal as your own heartbeat.
- Siri is built in: Press digital crown and speak.
The Apple Watch: Navigation and Apps
- Navigation is fluid and vital. The Apple Watch can sense you're raising your wrist.The digital crown controls function: When you turn the crown, the map zooms in and out. When you have a list, you can scroll and do all of this without blocking the screen. If you're in an app as the clock, if you press the crown, it returns to the home screen. Infrared LED and photo diodes that translate rotary movement into digital data. Simple and elegant and amazing input and navigation device.
- Glances: A dashboard-esque brief look at individual apps. Next meeting, location on a map, current weather, NASDAQ, music.
- American Airlines created app that allows check in on the watch. Starwood lets you check in and unlock room door by waving watch in front of the door.
- City Mapper gets mass transit directions, including reminders to get off at the right stop.
- BMW shows charge level of your electric car. Shows map to where the car is.
- Gives tactic feedback ahead of each turn, different haptic feedback for left and right turns.
The Apple Watch is designed to help you lead a more active life.
- Can track a wide variety of activities through a number of sensors. Custom sensor to track heart rate and intensity. GPS and Wi-FI in iPhone to track how far you've moved.
- Measures 3 aspects of movement: Goal to sit less, move more and get some exercise.
- Move ring measures calories burned. Best overview of how active you are. Move ring is customized to you.
- Exercise ring captures brisk activity that you've done. Any activity done at the activity of a brisk walk or above. Close the ring when you hit the globally recommended 30 minutes of exercise per day.
- Stand ring shows how often you stand to take a break from sitting. This may seem like a small thing but sitting less can improve your health.
- Over time, Apple Watch gets to know you the way a good personal trainer would. Intelligent reminders to keep you motivated and on track.
Just the Facts: Apple Watch
- Accurate to +/- 50 milliseconds
- Stainless steel, sapphire coated display.
- Many face designs and lots of different bands to choose from.
- Custom designed chip, S1 processor, integrates many subsystems into one module. Completely encapsulated to protect the electronics.
- Zirconia back, four sapphire lenses. Infrared and visible light LEDs with photo sensors detect pulse rate. Gyroscope and accelerator, watch provides comprehensive picture of daily activity.
- All apps take advantage of flexible retina display. Laminated, machined and polished with a single crystal of sapphire.
- Works seamlessly with iPhone. Comprehensive health and fitness companion.
- Back crystal includes charging solution, combines MagSafe with inductive charging. No alignment required, no exposed contacts.
- The Apple Watch becomes available in early 2015 for $349.
- It works with iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and 5s, 5c and 5 (required).